This month focuses on information that will encourage positive actions and protective measures for one’s own mental health and whole-body health.
The WHA Information Center has provided some information from 2017 regarding mental health in Wisconsin. Unless specified below, WHA Information Center reviewed inpatient, observation and emergency department visits.
- Number of ER visits where mental health was the reason for the visit: 68,724 (3.7%)
- Average length of stay for inpatient mental health disorders (includes acute care and psychiatric care facilities and units): 7.9 days
- Percentage of visits for 13-18 year olds where mental health disorders were the reason for the visit or admission: 11.2%
- Percentage of adult visits and admissions where a diagnosis of schizophrenia or bipolar disorder was present: 0.9%
- Number of visits or admissions classified with substance dependence or abuse: 45,849 (1.8%)
Data provided by the WHA Information Center (WHAIC). WHAIC is dedicated to collecting, analyzing and disseminating complete, accurate and timely data and reports about charges, utilization, quality and efficiency provided by Wisconsin hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers and other health care providers.