WHA-Backed Workforce Training Grant Applications Due in April

DHS posts questions and answers – helpful information when applying

March 26, 2019

Hospitals, clinics and health systems interested in WHA-crafted grants to expand workforce training opportunities in rural areas and high-demand occupations had an opportunity last week to share their questions with Wisconsin’s Department of Health Services (DHS). Examples of the questions posed are included below.  

Can new graduate medical education (GME) program grants be used for salary costs?

  • DHS New GME Program Grant funds may be requested for development of Rural Training Tracks (separately accredited by the American College of Graduate Medical Education) and rural tracks (an informal strategy to expand resident exposure to rural medicine). These grant funds cannot be used for resident salaries and fringes, or other ongoing, permanent operating expenses for standard GME programs, RTTs, or rural tracks.
  • DHS Residency Expansion Grant funds support the addition of up to three new resident positions to existing accredited GME programs. Allowable costs under such grants are salary and fringes, malpractice insurance, and reasonable travel and short-term housing. Expansion grants cover the length of the residency. These grant funds may be used to support new resident positions in existing programs that develop new rural clinical tracks.

What are examples of allowable costs for planning for Advanced Practice Clinician (APC) Training Grants?

Funds may only be used for planning if the organization has not previously received an APC grant. Some examples include:

  • Rural faculty recruitment, engagement and training
  • New training equipment, including technology and software
  • Travel for planning meetings
  • Hospital placement coordinator

What are examples of a match for planning?

  • Engagement and participation by rural clinical faculty in designing and establishing the new training program
  • Hospital/clinic staff time spent in leading or participating in the planning process (may either be charged to the grant or considered as an in-kind contribution)
  • Project manager paid for by a partner
  • Consultants

Click on the links below for a complete set of questions and answers.

 - GME Grant Overview and Q&A
 - APC Grant Overview and Q&A
 - AHP Grant Overview and Q&A

For more information about these grant opportunities, contact WHA Vice President of Workforce and Clinical Practice Ann Zenk.

This story originally appeared in the March 26, 2019 edition of WHA Newsletter